confused nation
gettin' famous
on the internets
since 2001
2009 print edition

A little time-passing

There is no power at my office right now.

At roughly 1pm a taletale thud resonated throughout the building, selfishly denying the entire floor of tasty blue electricity. Over the years, I’ve become acclimated to the otherwise jarring transition from sitting in bright, white fluorescent light to a fumbling around a pitch-black abyss illuminated by the eerie glow of laptop monitors and back again. Call me a veteran of 21 long, hot, wet hurricane seasons.

It’s a strange day to be in dark—the very last day before Cristina, Louie, Augusta, Flowers, Korey, Zach, Sam, and I all high-tail it to Fredericksburg, Shiner, and the other popular places to consume culture in east/central Texas. I’d been counting the seconds until happy hour since I got into the office this morning, but now I’m watching the tiny little battery icon in my taskbar slowly, slowly deplete itself. And when I finally run out of juice on the Funputer, I’m slinging my office wares over my shoulder and saying sianarya until March 7.

There are ten different APCs in my office, all beeping and booping and sounding like an impromptu Hot Chip cover. It’s only taken an hour for the floor to rise about ten degrees. Fuck you, Houston February. Everyone in my office is slowly going insane without the bone-chilling frost of the air conditioner sputtering out of the ceiling. Right now they’re arguing about which among them is the office Fire Martial, and what the chain of command is after the Vice Fire Martial, and I think there might be blood if I don’t step in and restrain them.

26%... and the hits just keep on coming.

Oh, speaking of Spring Break…

Shit, the thing was lying to me. I’ve only got 5%. SAVE AND CLOSE, SAVE AND CLOSE!




...Nevermind. It came back.

No comments: