confused nation
gettin' famous
on the internets
since 2001
2009 print edition

The song that defines the summer, 2008

So I'm busy mulling over the biggest decision of the summer: Which song captures the ups and downs, the air-starved highs and the lung-crushing lows of these past few months? A quick review of my last.fm profile, compounded with feelings and multiplied by everything I can actually remember off the top of my head boils the summer selection down to these finalists...

Justice - Stress (Auto Remix)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps
MGMT – Kids
LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations
The Chemical Brothers – Star Guitar
Whitey - Hahaha
Digitalism – Pogo
Alter Ego – Rocker
Simian – Never Be Alone
SebastiAn – Greel
MGMT – Time to Pretend
Interpol – Pioneer to the Falls

Here, I even built a Seeqpod playlist for the curious. Some songs have such significant meaning in one particular moment of the summer that they threaten to overshadow the songs that have been in heavy rotation all throughout the season. And while other songs were favorites that got a lot of personal airplay, they don't exactly encapsulate the feel.

So while I mull over this big decision with my trusty DR mower/decision muller, anyone got any good associations between this past summer and a track of choice?

No comments: