confused nation
gettin' famous
on the internets
since 2001
2009 print edition

Logic dictates

It's roughly 5:30 here in Houston, where I just finished my next-to-last problem set until Spring Break. Logic dictates that I should probably jump headlong into a few restful hours of sleep. But I'm American and you know how we Americans feel about dictators, so instead I'm going to catch up on a little blogging. I also know that if I hit the sack now there's no chance in hell that I'll wake up by 9:30 to turn in this shitty assignment.

Yesterday's (er, two days ago?) post about punishment wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular. But I re-read it today and realized that I've once again danced on the boundary between making my friends happy and kicking sand in their faces. Hell, it's passive aggressive, but in an ironic way that is both unfunny and not really entertaining.

Maybe my blog should have a disclaimer. It's not like I'm an expert in human psychology. I'm just an enthusiast. A wonk. And I know how people in college like to seek revenge upon one another-- they're observations anyone could make. It wasn't even really that accurate in its wording: Those examples are all forms of everyday psychological torture, not punishment in general. You can also punish people by breaking their arms or using a cattle gun.

Anyways, I was serious about what I said at the end: We're all human. Part of being human is giving into that selfish, stubborn gremlin that tells you to complicate your life by being vengeful. I guess I'm just trying to remind everyone that, really, happiness is always a simple answer: An apology, a hug, or a smidgen of trust.

Let's see, okay, what else...

I just wrote about three more paragraphs expanding on trust and being truthful and happiness and all that good stuff. And then I deleted it because I think I'm becoming less of a blogger and more of a fourth-grade cartoon show, complete with morals and zany characters. So no soup for you, at least not today.

I started writing science fiction. Uh-oh.

2 comments:

augusta said...

you little sandkicker.

Liz Fig said...

this was a good post