confused nation
gettin' famous
on the internets
since 2001
2009 print edition

How do high school seniors argue?

Surprise, high school friends! I took a little trip in my time machine back to a time when my liberal douching could set fire to the unaware passerby and my cache of argumentative ammunition was well-stocked. Check out these Xanga posts from back in 2004:

When President Bush decided to hop in his jet and stump down in Panama City, you can bet I had something to say about it. The cartoon in the link below is a sort of jab at all my friends who decided to attend the rally.
http://www.xanga.com/a_good_example/119693789/item.html

Of course, there was the occasional breakthrough of logic in my head. I still get those every once in a while but I've learned to suppress the logic in favor of smoking a cigarette. Oh, and me harping on heartstrings is just something you need to read anyway.
http://www.xanga.com/a_good_example/105596143/item.html

A discussion of whether I even matter. Definitely a good example of high schoolers at their best.
http://www.xanga.com/a_good_example/103900176/item.html

But it wouldn't be fair if this post was exclusively masturbatory. Check me being a true liberal douche, calling Michael Moore a "well-researched activist." Someone gag me with a mayonnaise-covered hot dog before Michael Moore eats it.
http://www.xanga.com/a_good_example/99299687/item.html

If there's one thing I still have, it's my ability to piss people off. I guess that hasn't changed at all. What I'd be more interested to find would be if my friend's political views-- especially the ones who argue tooth-and-nail in those above links-- still hold as strong to their views today. I know I don't.

High schoolers argue with an inflated sense of the world and their effect upon it. When you're limited to a school of 1200 students and teachers that get a kick out of seeing kids argue, you get the encouragement and audience necessary to feel like you're affecting something. These days, I feel like the true geniuses are the ones that see the futility in political discussions.

No one changes their minds anymore. No one is open minded. So you have to take clever, more intricate routes to changing minds.

That's where Kyle 2008 steps in to bitchslap his former self circa 2004 while, at the same time, appreciating all the fervor that put me here in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

high schoolers can't help it, its a phase in cognitive development called 'adolescent egocentrism.' they have to go through it to reach adulthood.